Sat, Mar 25|
"The Human Origins of Beatrice Porter" Launch Party with Soraya Palmer & Prince Shakur.
Time & Location
Mar 25, 7:00 PM EDT – Mar 26, 1:00 AM EDT
El Santo, 1053 Flushing Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237, USA
About the Event
About the Book: “Mothers never die. Children love to resurrect us in they stories.” Folktales and spirits animate this lively and unforgettable coming-of-age tale of two Jamaican-Trinidadian sisters in Brooklyn grappling with their mother’s illness, their father's infidelity, and the truth of their family's past.
About the Author: SORAYA PALMER is a Flatbush-born-and-raised writer and licensed social worker who advocates for survivors of gender-based violence who are facing criminal charges related to their abuse. She has been awarded a residency at Blue Mountain Center and interviewed for her work against police brutality, gentrification, and violence in The New York Times and BuzzFeed News. She lives in New York.
About the Conversation Parnter: Prince Shakur is a Jamaican-American author, journalist, podcast host, video maker, and educator. His writings have appeared in Teen Vogue, Afropunk, Catapult, Vice, and more on queer culture, film, and the inner lives of black icons. His media work has been recognized by GLAAD and Society for Features Journalism. His debut memoir, When They Tell You To Be Good, has been described as “… a searing account of self-discovery in the face of structural oppression” by Publishers Weekly and is a TIME Magazine’s Most Anticipated Book of Fall and Best Book of October. Shakur has attended residencies with Sangam House, Studios of Key West, Norton Island, Atlantic Center for the Arts, and La Madison Baldwin.
Enter the world of Beatrice Porter with Soraya Palmer celebrating the launch of her debut novel featuring:
- An exclusive reading from her debut novel by Soraya Palmer
- A discussion with the incredible Prince Shakur, the author of When They Tell You to Be Good (winner of the Hurston/Wright Crossover Award; A Library Journal and Okayplayer best memoir of 2022)
- An author signing after the reading (Books provided by Cafe con Libros)
- Trinidadian Steel Pan music by Adrian Clarke
- An afterparty with DJ Jux
- Food and drinks available for purchase (the first 10 RSVSPs get a free drink)
- Free giveaways